Our team has been working with UNIX and Linux since the early 1990s using primarily Novell, Redhat and Debian. We have also wrote x86-based and embedded-based kernel-space character and block device drivers; along with user-space drivers for various projects; which where mostly proprietary drivers for private companys. Some of the drivers included:
The most popular public kernel-space driver we wrote was the "poor mans closed-loop motor controller" called: Parallel Port PWM/Encoder Kernal Space Linux Driver. And our most popular public user-space driver was the USB Missile Launcher Linux Driver.
Our debugging techniques may involve gdb, valgrind, kmemcheck or simply printf, kprintf, and via DIO (e.g. LEDs or seven-segment displays).
We have extensive knowledge of the Linux command line tools (including the cut down version provided by busybox), packages available, and the inner workings of Linux itself. And have worked with numerous embedded Linux architectures such as x86 CISC, MPU ARM RISC (via OMAP, LPC, BeagleBone, Raspberry Pi and Arduino solutions), FPGA and microcontrollers (MCUs) such as STM32F4, MSP430, Atmel, PIC and LPC. Let alone using ti.com Design Tools for buck-boost converters, lowpass/highpass filters, and power management IC (PMIC)
We have been programming for over 15 years in many languages for generally Linux, BSD (e.g. Mac OSX) or Windows. However generally embedded tasks are done in C, C++, python and/or simple shell scripts using vital tools such as awk, sed, grep, telnet, ssh and netcat (among many others).
Electronics is an art our team has been working with since childhood (from building kits from Dicksmith, Tandy, and Jaycar to designing digital electronic keypads). Since then, we have maintained a constant update of knowledge and experience on the topic, since most of our projects involve either building a circuit from scatch, reviewing circuit designs, programming for target microcontrollers, and/or reworking pre-built PCB's for various needs such as bypassing/hacking solutions, or replacing broken components.
Our primary developer Luke Cole has a history as the "go to man" for many colleagues, and is well known to have "a knack for making things work". To learn more about Luke see his LinkedIn page or personal home page.
Mining activity and community life increased apace during the succeeding years. In 1885 the first telephone in Blackstone established a link between the Aberdare Colliery and Bundamba Railway Station. Two years later the school was founded with 80 enrolled students, followed by the Blackstone Rovers Soccer Club in 1890 and a two-storeyed School of Arts in the following year. A setback occurred in 1893, when the great flood inundated the two churches and swept away many belongings. Despite this disaster and the ensuing depression, the Aberdare Cooperative Colliery Ltd came into existence in 1894 and leased the mine from Thomas until its insolvency in 1907.
Meanwhile Lewis Thomas, the patron of Blackstone, completed his ‘castle’, called Brynhyfryd (meaning ‘Pleasant View’), in 1890. This three-storeyed residence with a central tower and various outbuildings was built in rendered brick high on the Blackstone hill. Thomas was the Bundamba member of the Legislative Assembly from 1893 to 1899 and of the Legislative Council from 1902 until his death in 1913. During the early years his political opponent was Thomas Glassey, the miners’ man.
During the First World War, functions were held at Brynhyfryd to raise support for the troops and a Comforts Club was formed in Blackstone to aid the cause. The illegal game of two-up was held regularly at the Borehole near the creek every Sunday for several years, until the area was cleared for farming, and then further around at the old Cardiff pit site.
In the meantime, the Blackstone community suffered from the effects of living on top of a coal mine. Subsidence, which was always a problem in the area, damaged the Old School of Arts and parts of the roadway as well as Thomas Street. Underground fires were devouring the remaining coal reserves under Brynhyfryd and the honeycombed ground began to subside.